01 March 2010

32 days

I wrote my first post for teamGT with 315 days to go until DW 2010 in New Zealand, I'm writing this on in the UK and there are 32 days until DW2010- 283 days of ramblings.

Unfortunately since Waterside B we've had to dramatically alter the team logistics. Richard got hurt so I pulled us out of that race. Rather than permanently injure himself he's waiting until DW2011, only 416 days away. I think he's made the right choice. However, that left me with a choice too. K1 or don't paddle at all.

Craig, from Marsport, made a suggestion to me. Antony Murr had been left without a partner, would I consider paddling with him? This weekend we go together and gave it a go.

We paddled Crofton Flight to the Bruce tunnel, through the tunnel and back on Saturday. Sunday we paddled a modified Thameside 1 turning right at Kennetmouth.
We had to do a lot of work on paddling together but for someone I've never paddled with before I was really happy with the ground we made, although we are still walking before we run.

The highlights were Fobney Lock- the landing stage we used was underwater, however, we got our feet wet instead of wet and muddy and survived it. County Weir looked worse than two weeks ago. The water was higher and there were 5 standing waves on the weir itself. In reality it was actually easier, even if a little choppier, because it was washed out the recirculating eddie wasn't there. I'm afraid there's no pics or video because sorting ourselves out less than 5 weeks before DW was more important to us. Well done to the two newbies we met for looking at County and doing a 400m portage- If you're not sure walk until it's safe!

The best thing I learnt this weekend was my portage approach technique- I've spent the past 7 years going in parallel, Antony changed me to 45 degrees and this has made the world of difference.

So what about Richard, he's still involved but I've offered him to another team as support crew for the 4 day event for the mere sum of 1 camel and 2 goats.

I need to sleep now,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for that