03 January 2010

Ice Ice Baby



Because I'm informed that global warming is caused by carbon emissions from 4x4s. I'm going to buy 4.9 litre V8 Range Rover, if I can find one I'll go for the 6x6 conversion just to add to the CO2 I produce and make the planet a little warmer! I'm informed by my environmental advisor, who has a PhD in Cynicism, that this is correct.


Today the Kennet and Avon was more ice rink than canal! The plan today was to paddle up the Crofton Flight go the wrong way through the Bruce Tunnel and then come back in the right direction. The water temperature said otherwise.




Even the river at the pumping section had ice on it




We left the Crofton Flight and headed to Reading via Newbury. The plan here was to paddle from County Weir through the Oracle, down to Kennetmouth and finish at Dreadnought Reach.



With 4 standing waves at County, high water, fast flow and falling temperature I decided that this was not a good idea. If there were no playboaters out on the weir today then it must be a bad idea. The problem with high flow at County is that the current can push the boat back into the wall that you are trying to get away from.




Further down at Dreadnought Reach the Thames too was high and fast flowing. There was also a cutting easterly wind which made me cold, I've no idea what that would do to mortal paddlers from southern extraction! The landing stage here is usually at the same level as the concrete, not above it.

This evening Devizes was very cold but not totally frozen too.


In reflection, todays window shopping was ok but not paddling does lose a training day but better that then not being able to paddle ever again.

Tom






No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for that