09 December 2009

The drugs haven't worked, maybe try Guinness?

Well, training is not going according to plan.  We have not had much time out on the water, in fact I have only been out in the boat twice which isn't really a lot.  Between the 2 of us I think Tom is on his 3rd chest infection to my 1, and I have also had flu and a virus that knocked me out for about 4 weeks in September and October, and the winter hasn't even got going yet!  Add to that a few knocks I have collected from playing rugby, and probably a dozen or so illnesses that Tom has kept quiet, and I think you can begin to get the idea that we might need to increase our fruit and veg intake from a 5-a-week habit to 25-a-day!  


My technique is getting there, by which I mean we can paddle the boat in the right direction without going for a swim, and my balance feels atrocious.  I keep reacting to the boat tipping like I would in a normal kayak, not a tippy racing K2.  This means we have some pretty creative moments to keep upright but so far so good!


I think we should be OK healthwise for our scheduled paddle on the Tiverton Canal in 11 days time..... 

http://www.tivertoncanal.co.uk/history.htm



This is a shot of the lesser spotted Tom contemplating the Tiverton Canal.


Not being on the water is not an ideal way to prepare, but we have 113 days until race day.  It feels like a bit of a challenge to just make it to the start line with everything and everyone fully functioning, healthy and fit!  If we can start our racing season in January 2010 fit and well I will be very relieved.  If not, then we will push on in whatever state we are in because we are going to finish the DW 2010 so long as Tom kicks his chest infection habit.  I joked to him the other day that we could be the first crew to complete the DW using Oxygen!  I will just check the rules on that, just in case............................


Rich

3 comments:

  1. So Martin and Remko have to change cylinder at every other portage as well then?
    Martin says can he retro-fit a quick change valve to the boat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's get a few things into perspective:
    My first DW was done with a chest infection
    My PB was done using various fermented products
    This time should be a walk off a cliff!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll carry your cylinder if you give me a tow down the canal...

    I would normally say "man up and get on the water" but am hiding from the river myself with a severe case of man 'flu, so tis unfair to comment.

    Get well soon boys - 59 days to Waterside A

    ReplyDelete

thanks for that